Driving license is one of the most important and legal document. It certifies that the particular holder is suitably qualified to drive the vehicle type for which the license is granted. It’s also recognized as a valid identity proof by Government of India. You can enjoy the freedom of riding your vehicle with the valid driving license. Hence, it’s important to get the driving license renewed on time to avoid any hassles.
For driving any non-transport vehicle, driving license is valid for 20 years from the date of issuance or until the license holder turns 50 years old, whichever is earlier. After the 20 years, it needs to be renewed after every 5 years. In case of license for transport vehicles, the validity of driving license is up to 3 years from the date of issuance.
Driving License Renewal is Necessary!
As per the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, without a valid driving license, no person is allowed to drive a motor vehicle in India. A person driving with an expired driving license has to bear the penalty for violating the provisions under the section 177 of the Motor Vehicle Act. Click here to know more.
Important Instructions for Renewal of Driving License
- You need to approach your local Regional Transport Office for the renewal of driving license.
- Renewal application can be made not more than 30 days before the date of expiry of your Driving License.
- Driving License is valid up to 30days from the date of expiry and can be renewed within this grace period. However, it can also be renewed with aenalty after the grace period.
- If the Driving License is not renewed within five years from the date of expiry, then you will have to apply for a fresh driving license with all the necessary formalities.
Documents Checklist for Renewal of Driving License
For Private License
- Form no 9 – Application for renewal of driving license – form can be downloaded from RTO website
- Form no 1 – Application cum declaration as to physical fitness
- Form no 1A – Medical certificate (if the applicant is more than 40 years old)
- Original old driving license
- Recent photographs in passport size
- Copy of age proof (self-attested by the applicant) – Any one of the below documents
- PAN Card
- Voter ID card
- Birth Certificate
- School Certificate
- Copy of local residential address proof (self-attested by the applicant) – Any one of the below documents
- Voter ID card
- Government issued Pay slip, in case of private company salary slip same needs to be notarised
- Life Insurance Policy Document
- Landline Telephone Bill
- Property Tax Receipt
- Bank Pass book
- Ration card
- Latest Income tax returns
- Latest Utility bill such as water or electricity bill
For Commercial License
- In addition to the above documents, below mentioned documents are to be enclosed:
- Form No 1A – for valid medical certificate
- In case of license for heavy motor vehicle, Driver refreshing Training Certificate needs to be furnished.
- For other commercial vehicles, short period driver re-freshing course needs to be completed
Fees for Driving License renewal
Renewal of driving license costs you Rs. 200. In case you are renewing after the grace period, then you will be charged Rs. 300. There will be an extra charge of Rs. 200 for the issuance of smart card driving license.
Procedure for Renewal
To get the driving license renewed, you need to visit your local Regional Transport Office with all the necessary documents mentioned above. RTO official will verify your documents and update all the information as mentioned in your form (which may take some time). Once the documents are verified you are directed to make a fee payment. Post fee payment and document verification, your fingerprint and photo will be captured for issuing smart card driving license. Once all the formalities are completed renewed driving license will be issued.
Alternatively, application for renewal of driving license can also be placed online.
- Logon to the website of Ministry of Road Transport & Highways
- Click on ‘Apply online’ tab
- Under this, select ‘Service on Driving License’
- Mention your Driving License number and date of birth
- Post updation of all the details, application number will be generated
- Upload all the necessary documents, photo and signature online
- Make a payment of fee at the local RTO and get the documents verified along with application number
- After submission of documents in original and fingerprints are captured, you will be issued a renewed driving license on the same day!
Be compliant and enjoy your ride!